Throw Pillow Project Day Two

April 19, 2014

Fabric for throw pillow number one is cut! The largest Poppy on the front (top photo) is crying for definition. I’ve decided to embroider around the flower…by hand! Stem stitch, straight stitch, and some French knots. Thanks to my mother and both grandmothers I learned these skills when I was around 11. The fabric is called “Poppy Power” and it’s by HGTV Home. (Yes, I plan to iron it again. When I folded everything up for the evening, it wrinkled all over again….sigh).

 

 

The biggest Poppy on the top piece is screaming, "embellish me"!

The biggest Poppy on the top piece is screaming, “embellish me”!

Advertisements

When You Can’t Garden….Sew Throw Pillows.

April 18, 2014

Spring break from my job as a middle school math teacher was not all that I had imagined it would be. The week started out fine; on Monday I took a snooze in the hammock with the dog for company. The sun felt great on my arms and legs.Yes, it was shorts and tank top weather. I was resting up for a much anticipated week of gardening. After barely making it through a winter that brought a record 12 snow days off from school, I was ready to sink my hands into the dirt. My plan was to clear out the flower beds and turn over my raised veggie beds. Then add some pansies to the flower beds and put in my pea seeds.

And then, Tuesday and the sleet came. WHAT????? REALLY????? I’ll admit, I was blindsided. This is the middle of April in Southern Maryland; we do not have sleet. The slushy mess plopped on top of cars proudly bearing their patina of yellow pollen. As the sleety mess slid of the cars, it dragged the pollen off, revealing the true colors of the cars in my neighborhood. So, there’s a blessing to the sleet.

After doing some of the major spring cleaning items, like clean and organize the pantry, I was feeling rather blue. I needed to get my craft on. Down to my craft room I went in search of a project. Beading….nah, scrapbook….nah, quilt….maybe, ahhhhhh make the throw pillows for my newly painted first floor. Upstairs I went with my pile of fabric. I laid all of the fabric out and picked fabrics for pillows to put on the bench in my morning room.

Here is my fabric selection. First three in top row are for morning room. Bottom row and fourth from left on top row are for family room. I think?!

Here is my fabric selection. First three in top row are for morning room. Bottom row and fourth from left on top row are for family room. I think?!  The gray on the top row is for piping on pillows for morning room and is the bench cushion fabric.

First, I needed a pattern. I know…..just cut the fabric bigger and sew the edges together. Great, but I wanted easily removable covers. With one dog, two cats, a teenage boy, and a husband, washing is critically important. Fortunately, my inspiration came when my younger cat got stuck in a one of the pillows on from my bed set. She’d crawled in the slit on the back and made it down to one end and couldn’t get out (I’m sure she would have shredded her way out eventually).  No velcro, no zipper, and no buttons. EASY! Game on! Fortunately, I’m a math teacher and I can sew. I whipped out a piece of graph paper and in no time, I had a pattern. The fabric for one pillow is cut and tomorrow the sewing begins!